We like birds and other creatures hanging around us but not when their presence is considered a nuisance. They mess up our homes and properties with poop, litter, and other unwanted items.
If your workplace or deck is overrun by pigeons, crows, or seagulls, you need to get rid of them. Getting rid of them isn’t just about driving them away occasionally, you have to prevent further encounters.
As soon as you can, you must discourage these trespassers from returning to mess up your environment. Some of the places that birds target for roosting and nesting include elevated areas such as rooftops, HVAC, window sills, ledges, beams, chimneys, etc.
Fixing the problems that unwanted birds cause can be effectively taken care of if they are prevented before they even happen. Ignoring the bird droppings are not advisable as they lead to expensive clean ups, damages to valuable equipment, and possibly maintenance or replacement of that equipment.
You should consider using bird spikes
Bird spikes are harmless and not as nefarious as it sounds. They are made from different materials and come in various sizes. Whether you have the intention of keeping birds far away from your boat deck, or you detest the bird droppings that sully the surfaces of your equipment, bird spikes can help you achieve that.
Bird spikes create a rough and uneven surface to discourage birds from landing. There are other benefits of installing bird spikes which are more than keeping birds away. They can serve as deterrents to other pests and vandals like possums and cats. So it goes beyond reducing the bird problem you have.
It is recommendable to have bird spikes installed across all roosting surfaces to get the best result. Various sizes and types of bird spikes are designed so that they can be easily installed depending on the surface that they will be applied to.
Bird spikes provide a durable, cost-effective solution for bird nuisance that plagues a lot of people.
Bird spikes are suitable for the following surfaces:
• Signs: the signs outside your shop was placed there to attract customers to you. It also serves as what majority of people will identify you by for a long time. Since those signs outside are used to attract or entice customers to your business, bird droppings nullify its potential. Bird droppings scattered all over it might send a different message about what you had in mind to your potential customers.
• Window sills: birds like to perch on door and window sills. This may not always be provocative, but they often leave a lot of droppings behind. They also have the potential to generate a noise disturbance to the inhabitants of the building
• Lamp posts: because of the warmth that outdoor lights generate, birds are highly likely to be found perching and nesting. Their nesting materials and droppings can stain the lighting equipment or cause a fire hazard.
• Roof ridges: birds are creatures of the air, birds are more likely to perch on high platforms like rooftops. Droppings on the top of the building can ruin the building’s aesthetics. And if left long enough, it can damage and corrode building materials.
• Gutters: bird droppings can clog drainage systems which can lead to pooling of water or drainage leaks.
• HVAC units: this is probably one of the most important places you should take note of. Birds regularly choose to hang around HVAC units because they provide some of the things that birds look out for when they want to. nest. The units are usually located on the rooftops, and they sometimes provide the birds with water if they are leaking. But when birds decide to nest on them, they frequently leave their droppings which may not only damage the equipment but dried up bird dropping spores can be sucked through the ventilation system which puts the inhabitants of the building at risk of disease. Bird droppings are known to carry over 50 communicable diseases. And the occupants of the building who have a compromised immune system are at greater risk.
• Loading docks: birds are usually found near loading docks areas, especially in buildings where the exterior is frequently opened. The birds like to nest in the rafters, and sometimes above the loading dock’s rolling doors. Birds in places like this will likely damage goods, equipment, incoming/outgoing products, and often make the work space unsanitary.
Other places where bird spikes are suitable are fences, ledges, eaves, parapet walls, chimneys and more.
Installing bird spikes can be a complicated job, and there are a lot of variables to take into account when considering what you will need. Bird spikes are either made of steel, plastic, or metal.
Whether they are installed on window sills, rooftop parapets, outdoor signs, fences, or ledges, bird spikes should conform to how you intend to apply them. They should be cut to suit and accommodate the architectural size, shape of the surface and the platform configuration.
Some bird spikes are dulled to cause no harm to the birds since the objective is to create a visual deterrent. Bird spikes are supposed to be a gentle warning. Installing bird spikes can give you the peace of mind that the face of your work space, workplace, or even your residence is free from bird-related diseases.
It also prevents you from spending more in keeping your work space sanitized and bird-free.
Aviaway offers a wide variety of bird control and deterrent products to solve all your bird problems.