Birds can be somewhat troublesome, especially if they nest where they shouldn't or find food on your farm or in your garden. Whether in a rural or urban area, having birds as a pest can be rather stressful. They can destroy your crops, property and even ignite a fire. Netting is one of the most efficient ways to tackle this problem. Apart from being a discreet option, it proffers a long-lasting solution to this disturbance. This piece discusses the basic things you need to know about installation of netting for bird control.
How Does Netting Work?
Netting is used as a physical barrier against birds. It is put across the perimeter of the place you intend to barricade either horizontally or vertically depending on the application you choose. Your choice of netting will depend largely on the species of bird you intend to keep out and whether it is to be used on a farm or in an urbanized setting.
Birds vary from pigeon to sparrows, gulls and so on. The gauge of the net you buy may be efficient in controlling one bird species and fail completely for another because the holes are big enough to let them in. Before you choose a net, therefore you should know the species of bird you intend keeping out. It is advisable to get the right net for a species to ensure that you are physically able to restrain them from entering your property. It also ensures that when applied horizontally, the target species is unable to walk on the net. The advisable net mesh spacing for some species includes: pigeons 2” netting, gulls 2”- 4” netting, sparrows ¾,” and starlings ¾.”
The types of bird netting available are either Oriented or Extruded. They are both usually made from either polyethylene or polypropylene. The Oriented netting is usually horizontally applied. It can be used on top low climbing crops and over ponds. It prevents infestation from perching birds. Also, birds that prey on fish are controlled using this kind of netting. Extruded netting is vertically applied. It is used as a perimeter fence barricading an area from the sides. It is used as fence perimeter on farms or around buildings.
The color of bird netting varies and include black, silver, stone and translucent. While it doesn't matter what color you use on farms, urban settings are careful to pick colors that are discreet and blend in with their environment.
Advantages of Bird Netting
Bird netting is 100% fool proof for bird control if the manufacturer's instructions are followed. Therefore, it is a highly recommended choice when it comes to controlling bird infestation.
Some of the reasons why this should be your first option is that: 1. It is very useful in restraining birds from getting on your property. 2. It is discreet and low profile, with the right color it blends in and remains undetected from a certain distance.
3. It does not require fuel or power supply. 4. It is manufactured to withstand harsh weather and environmental conditions. 5. It lasts long if the manufacturer’s instructions are followed. 6. It requires little maintenance which is not expensive. 7. It does not require additional supervision, does the work once installed.
Where Can It Be Installed It is usually installed in places that have no tolerance for bird infestation. Some of these places are farms and gardens, warehouses, home windows and covered porches, bridge, underpasses, stadiums and stands, factories, commercial buildings and so many other places.
How to Install Bird Netting
There are different ways to install bird netting. The installation will usually depend on the application you have decided to use, the type of net chosen and the perimeter and terrain that the netting is to be fitted in. It is a little bit complicated and may require an expert to do so especially in places of the wide perimeter or complicated terrain. This article gives a brief guide on the basis for most netting application; this may however not apply to the application you have chosen. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's' instructions to ensure you do it right and your netting enjoys a long-life span.
1. You must know the bird netting you intend installing. If you are not sure, then you should check it up. Knowing the netting enables you to know what hardware, support, and application are most suitable.
2. You should choose a netting hardware most suitable for the netting.
3. If you intend using tensioned cable system, you should ensure that all cables have been set up and are ready to be fit with the netting.
4. If you are installing with a poly hardware, then you must ensure each piece of the hardware has been fitted.
5. When cutting the net, be sure to get the correct measurement and cut a little excess to what you need. This ensures you do not overstretch because you have less than you need. It also ensures that you have a little excess to overlap when joining.
6. Nets should be joined at overlap seams to ensure strength at joints and reduce tension.
7. Overhead and interior support such as using pipes and cables should be used for nets at about every 25 feet.
8. When fitting around objects, make a small cut (depending on the size of the object) in a T or X to allow for additional material for the area being joined.
If you have a bird problem, we can help. AviAway professionally installs bird control solutions for all bird species. We have 30+ years of experience in bird control and have performed work for companies like Amazon, Rite Aid, and the U.S. Postal Service. Click here or call 844-247-3373 to request a free bird control quote.
We also offer free bird control consultations. Click here to set up a free consultation and talk with one of our bird control experts about solving your bird problem.